Applegate & Thorne-Thomsen, P.C., is seeking a Billing Analyst to join our team.
Founded in 1998, Applegate is committed to supporting underserved communities by partnering with our clients in all aspects of real estate development, ownership, financing, and investment. We represent developers, investors, lenders, tax exempt community development organizations, and public housing authorities. The scope and breadth of our experience has made us national leaders in the affordable housing and community development space.
Applegate is deeply committed to the people who join our team. Rooted in a culture of mutual respect, trust, and a long-term investment in our people, we provide meaningful exposure to sophisticated work early on, opportunities for professional development, and dedicated mentorship. Our mission-driven focus attracts top talent who is inspired to do work we love and that has a positive social impact. This is a unique opportunity to do well by doing good.
We currently have an opening in our Chicago office for a Billing Analyst to assist in the oversight and preparation of client bills for assigned billing attorneys. As a billing analyst, you will need to be driven and able to work autonomously with various personnel while having strong project management skills and a deep knowledge of Excel.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain practice area tracking spreadsheets for use in deal staffing and projection analysis
- Participate in ad hoc special projects or reporting as required, and other tasks as assigned
- Assist in process documentation
- Schedule and conduct billing meetings with billing attorneys to gather information on requested prebills, final bills, and status of closings
- Process edits and transfers to pre-bills as directed by billing attorneys
- Generate bills, reprint corrected pre-bills, and prepare cover letters as needed
- Follow up with billing attorneys regarding billing deadlines, status of pre-bills, and prepared invoices
- Notify billing attorneys of delinquent accounts and provide recommended course of action
- Research and reconcile client accounts, WIP, payments, unapplied cash, etc.
- Create billing reports and related spreadsheets for analysis as required
- Communicate (via email and phone) with clients regarding invoicing, collections, and reporting
- Research and respond to inquiries regarding billing issues and problems
- Ensure bills are prepared in accordance with client guidelines
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with personnel at all levels
- Proven ability to meet stringent deadlines, adapt to changing priorities, and balance multiple tasks while operating in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Must be able to work effectively as a team member as well as independently and with little guidance
- Strategic and analytical thinking, initiative, and problem-solving skills required
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively
- Proactive, able to anticipate work needs and follow through with minimum direction
- Software: SurePoint/Rippe & Kingston, Juris, Aderant (or equivalent accounting software) experience a plus
- E-Billing (LEDES) experience a plus
- Demonstrated Excel Knowledge including Match, Pivot Table and Vlookup
- Demonstrated proficiency with Word, and other MS Office products
- Billing experience in a law firm is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is a plus
- Expectation of in-office presence – minimum 3 days a week
Qualified candidates who would like to learn more about this position and the firm should send resumes in confidence to Jessa Baker at [email protected].
Applegate is committed to equal employment opportunity without consideration of race, color, religion, ethnicity, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender, or any other basis protected by law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.