Commitment to Clients and Communities
In the world of real estate law, there’s a unique charm to community development. It’s about seeing the direct results—like driving past a new development or being there at its opening and recognizing the good it does for the community. The tight-knit field of New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) law centers on unity and collaboration. Each project fosters a collegial atmosphere, with everyone pitching in to spark positive change in underserved neighborhoods. There’s a genuine camaraderie, where our shared mission is to champion transformative projects in underserved areas.
Outside of the office, my heart is set on supporting our animal and wildlife community. I take an active role on the Cosley Zoo Foundation Board, volunteer at a local animal shelter, and together with Maya, our certified therapy dog, we make meaningful visits to schools and senior homes.
Current Focus: While I primarily focus on NMTC work (predominantly community development entities (CDEs), source lenders, and tax credit investors), I also represent community development financial institutions (CDFIs) clients in lending transactions involving Capital Magnet Funds, charter schools, and housing. Additionally, I guide CDE clients through the regulatory facets of the NMTC program, including ongoing compliance issues, CDE certification, allocation applications, and allocation agreements.
Prior to pivoting to community development, I practiced in the commercial real estate industry, representing institutional lenders and major developers.
- Represented a group of CDFI lenders in a two-phase project involving source and direct financing with Capital Magnet Funds, Historic Tax Credits, and NMTCs for the rehabilitation of a historic automotive plant into a mixed-used development in Detroit, Michigan.
- Represented a CDE providing allocation for the acquisition and renovation of six grocery store properties in food-insecure areas of Chicago, also involving city grant funds and third-party financing.
- Represented source lender and CDE providing allocation to joint LIHTC-NMTC condominium project providing mixed-use commercial space, childcare, and residential units in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Represented tax credit investor and CDE in FQHC project for the construction of a new 70,000 square foot clinic in Houston, TX using multiple source loans and County grant funds.
- American Bar Association
- Member, Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Member, Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law
- Member, New Markets Tax Credit Coalition