Current Focus: Glenn is the head of the Firm’s Tax Group and concentrates his practice on the following areas: (1) the development of real estate with the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, Federal Qualified Opportunity Zones, the Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit, the Investment Tax Credit for Renewable Energy Property, state tax credits, and State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds under the American Rescue Plan of 2021; (2) the taxation of partnerships and LLCs; (3) the taxation of not-for-profit organizations and (4) IRS audits of tax credit partnerships. He represents syndicators, developers, investors and nonprofit organizations in structuring tax advantaged transactions.
Glenn has represented clients in tax disputes before the IRS, the United States Tax Court and local tax authorities with an emphasis on appraisal and valuation issues. Glenn has worked on a number of tax credit related IRS audits.
- American Bar Associations
- Member of Governing Committee of the American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, 2016 – Present
- Chair or Co-Chair, Tax Credit and Equity Financing Committee of the Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, 2006 – 2016
- Opportunity Zone Advisory Board, Novogradac Journal of Tax Credits. 2018 – Present
- Moderator on several American Bar Association Teleconferences on legislation affecting low-income housing
Regularly speaks on tax issues relating to Federal low-income housing and historic credits and Qualified Opportunity Zones and the Illinois Affordable Housing Tax Credit.
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. v. Alabama DOR, (No. S97-103)
- Norwest Corp. v. Comm’r, 108 TC 265 (1997)
- Nestle Holdings, Inc. v. Comm’r, T.C. Memo, 1995-441 (1995)
- Contributing Author, The Legal Guide to Affordable Housing Development, 3rd Ed., American Bar Association (2022) (chapter on using opportunity zones with affordable housing).
- Author, Can You Get a Brew in an OZ? Opportunity Zones, Brew Pubs and Sin Businesses, Novogradac Journal of Tax Credits (2021).
- Author, Why Does My Tax Lawyer Keep Saying We Need Nonrecourse Debt for My Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Project, 27 Journal of Affordable Housing and Community Development Law 435 (2018)
- Author, Limited Time Offer-Bonus Depreciation Yield Enhancer, Novogradac Journal on Tax Credits (2016).
- Author, How to Save Your Property’s 9 Percent Rate (Even with 2014 Credits), Novogradac Journal on Tax Credits (2012).
- Author, IRS Memo States TCAP Grants are Taxable at Time of TCAP Agreement is Signed, Journal of Tax Credits, Vol II, Issue IV (2011).
- Contributing Author, The Legal Guide to Affordable Housing Development, 2d Ed., American Bar Association (2011).
- Contributing Author, Explanation and Analysis, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 – Law and Analysis (2009).
- Co-Author, Initiatives and Tools for the Preservations of Affordable Housing in Illinois, 18 Journal of Affordable Housing and Community Development Law 403 (2009).
- Co-Author, Low Income Housing Tax Credit Provisions of the Recovery Act of 2009: Tools to Close Financing Gaps in a Weak Tax Credit Equity Market, 18 Journal of Affordable Housing and Community Development Law 463 (2009).
- Co-Author, Attention Developers: Beware of TCAP Tax Pitfalls and Be Aware of Credit Exchange Tax Benefits, Journal of Tax Credit Housing Volume II, Issue IX (2009).
- Contributing Author, Housing Assistance Act of 2008 – Law (2008).
- Contributing Author, Explanation and Analysis and Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 – Law (2008).
- Co-Author, Impact of Housing and Economic Recovery Tax Act of 2008 on Current and Future Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Properties, 18 Journal of Affordable Housing and Community Development Law 47 (2008).
- Guest speaker on Low-Income Housing Tax Credits at University of Illinois, School of Law
- A frequent speaker at conferences and webinars for the American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, The National Council of State Housing Finance Agencies, Novogradac & Co., The Illinois Housing Council, The Indiana Housing Conferences, The National Housing and Rehabilitation Association and other organizations.
- Leading Lawyer, 2021